Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Reminders of Grace

Last month, my childhood pediatrician (is that an oxymoron?) passed away.  Dr. Sizemore was one of those "old-school" doctors, who practiced medicne and was so much more than today's "health care provider".  Our families were members of the same church when I was growing up, so we got to know the Dr and his family as outside the confines of the office, as good, caring people with a love of family, faith and a calling to serve the children of our community.

Ironically, I  found out about his death, on the same day I learned two co-workers were facing the imminent loss of a child, both due to illnesses.  Almost 40 years ago, it was my parents who were in the same place as my CW's.  You see, I had to go through a serious illness, where the outcome wasn't a given.  And yes, it was Dr. Sizemore, who played a big role in my recovery and being a friend and comfort to Moms & Dad.

Just like its easy to ask "why me?" when we face tough times, we sometimes ask the same thing when we've been given a blessing.  When we've done nothing to deserve that blessing, it's a reminder of grace.  The word "grace" has several definitions, but for believers, it's often thought of as 'unmerited favor'' aka something that God gives us or does for us that we didn't earn by our actions. 

There are times when good things happen because of something we've done: the promotion that's long overdue, the dream vacation we've long saved for.  Other times, theres no rhyme or reason for the good that comes our way.  In those times, we should simply just be thankful and not feel guilty for appreciating the blessings. "Grace" is also synonymous for Thanks (as in saying grace/blessings before a meal - even if it is the old standard "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for this food")

In Ephesians 3, Paul says "I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me...His intent was that now...the manifold wisdom of God should be made known...In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.

I Know Whom I Have Believed (Daniel W. Whittle/Public Domain)


  1. I know not why God’s wondrous grace To me He hath made known, Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love Redeemed me for His own.

  2. Refrain:
  3. But “I know Whom I have believed, And am persuaded that He is able; To keep that which I’ve committed, Unto Him against that day.”
  4. I know not how this saving faith To me He did impart, Nor how believing in His Word, Wrought peace within my heart.
  5. I know not what of good or ill May be reserved for me, Of weary ways or golden days, Before His face I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment