Saturday, March 9, 2013

We're Off to See the Wizard...

I've been looking forward to the new "OZ" movie that opened this weekend, soon. On a recent trip to Walt Disney World (who owns the film), promos for the movie were EVERYWHERE.  Print ads, commercials, you name it. There's even an Oz section that's been added to EPCOT, as part of this year's Flower & Garden show.  It includes a playground, glass flowers, places for picture taking, you name it.

Yep, I grew up watching  the classic "Wizard of Oz" movie annual airings on CBS.  This was back when there was such a thing as "appointment TV".  Have to admit, the winged monkeys always scared the pants off me, but I still loved the movie. My favorite bit of OZ trivia: Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Woodman, but had to drop out after an allergic reaction to the makeup cause an almost-fatal allergic reaction.

I later read the "Wizard of Oz" book in elementary school and loved it...but have to admit at the time, I was slightly confused.  The book had LOTS more details and scenes not in the movie.  By my way of thinking it must have been there in the original (1930s) theater showing, and then cut out to make room for the commercials:-).  The new movie looks to have some of those plot elements and characters.  What it has done..is also made me want to go back and re-read "the Wonderful Wizard of Oz". Before Harry Potter...there was another wizard whose story charmed readers (and who also had a smart girl to help him out of a jam - even if the "jam" was getting back to Omaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment