Saturday, October 15, 2011

Henry

Last month marked one year since we brought our then-latest canine addition into our home: a Lab~Austrailian Shpherd mix, that I dubbed "Henry". Henry's original puppy name was "Peter", which isn't bad, just didn't feel like the right 'fit' :-)

In early 2010, we lost two (2) of our dogs: Sam, a 12 y/o beagle and found out our 11 y/o Lab, Jake, had skin cancer. Jake survived longer than the normal time for that type of cancer diagnosis, but finally died in May. Have to be honest-that was a tough one! Jake was the first dog we had gotten as a puppy. He came home as a 12lb ball of fur and VERY quickly grew into a 125lb. couch potato.

When we got Jake, we weren't doing the "let's see if we can handle a puppy and if we do ok, maybe we won't screw up the baby" thing. We'd already been married 6+ years. I think at that time, I already had some 'whispers' in my head that our "when are you going to start a family" was turning into a 'hmm, something might not be right'. At the time I was just starting on a big work effort (remember Y2K??) and had that to keep from worrying about what 'might' be going on.

I knew Robert wasn't keyed up about adding a new dog to the house. Jake was the Gilligan to his Skipper: his big, little buddy. They'd been pals for almost 12 years. Jake was great with me, but he 'belonged' to Robert. Our 2 remaining dogs are also both 10+ years old. I just couldn't see us with an empty house - or having just one surviving dog, who'd always been part of a pack.

So.....I took the initiative and started looking online & on our work classifieds for puppies. Finally, I found "it". I found our new puppy. Still can't explain it....but something about the picture on petfinder.com website got to me :-) And...even better, he was just over in Auburn and not off in Nebraska, or Timbuktu. I contacted the rescue group and THEN told Robert ( but before SETI led out the application...promise:-) In 17+ years, this was first time I'd gone out on that long of a limb.

Call it a 'calculated risk', but I knew this was right for us...and a year later, it has been :-). I wasn't looking for another lab-promise :-). H was listed as an Aussie, but turned out to look like a mini-Lab, but hates water, is skittish, and well, just kind of goofy. Hismpersonality is nothing like his outer 'shell'. He had a lot of health issues to deal with - so in a sense, we both rescued each other. We gave Henry a home and he helped us get over our loss. At the end of the day...not sure who gets the better deal, but it's going to be fun finding out!!!

Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment